Association of Association Executives members are expected to adopt the highest standards of dignity, fairness and integrity. No member shall act in a manner detrimental to the interests of the public, their employer or the AAE. In performing their duties, no member of the AAE shall transgress any laws. It is incumbent on members of the AAE to abide by this Code.
The purpose of this Code of Conduct is to bolster public confidence in the integrity and professional standards of association executives. Abiding by this Code is essential for membership in the AAE.
Members of the Association of Association Executives will:
- Support the AAE’s work to advance the professional standards of association management.
- Serve their associations with loyalty and respect for confidentiality, avoiding conflicts of interest and activities for personal advantage to the detriment of their associations or their members.
- Bring to the attention of their associations’ governing boards potential decisions or actions that they identify as unethical or illegal, and inform their boards of the possible results of such decisions or actions.
- Serve all members of their associations with impartiality, providing no particular benefits to any member, and accepting no personal compensation from a member without the prior knowledge and approval of their association’s governing board.
- Ensure, to the best of their abilities, that interactions between employees, suppliers, clients and volunteers are fair, free of discrimination and harassment.
- Engage in lasting professional development to further their competence as association managers.
- Inform the AAE of any member who may have acted in contravention of this Code.